Getting dental implants is a process that takes several procedures done over several months. Some of the visits are for oral surgery, so you will have to prepare yourself.
Small preparation steps will help to get your body ready for the procedures, while others will help you heal after the oral surgeries.
Here is what you need to do to make sure your dental implant treatment is successful.
1. Get a comprehensive dental examination
An exam helps a dentist determine if a patient is a good candidate for dental implants. It also gives valuable information that the dentist uses to come up with a treatment plan.
The dentist will evaluate the patient by taking x-rays, doing a visual exam and going through the patient's medical records.
The step-by-step process of placing the implant will depend on the following information:
- If a patient is found to have a weak or suppressed immune system, the dentist will put them on antibiotics before and after each oral surgery
- If the patient is allergic to any anesthetic or dental materials, the dentist will use alternatives
- If the patient is on medication that could interact with the anesthetic or affect the dental implant surgeries, the dentist will adjust the treatment plan
- If the patient's jaw needs to be prepared, the dentist will perform bone grafts or jaw reshaping to the treatment plan
- If the patient is extremely healthy, the dentist may choose to place the implant and abutment during a single surgery. In some cases, the dentist may even fit the crown along with the implant and abutment
Based on the results of the evaluation, the dentist will formulate a treatment that will cater to the patient's needs. They will take the patient through the treatment plan and advise the patient on how to prepare for each procedure.
2. Start a course of antibiotics if necessary
If you receive a medical implant or organ transplant, then you may use immunosuppressant drugs to prevent the body from attacking the implants/transplants. Before having dental implants fitted, you must take antibiotics, which take up the role of a substitute immune system.
For this same reason, patients with chronic conditions must take antibiotics before and after getting dental implants.
3. Prepare the body for the procedure itself
If you will receive the oral surgery under general anesthesia, then you will have to fast for 12 hours before the surgery begins. You should also wear loose, comfortable clothing that will help the procedure to go smoothly.
4. Get the jaw prepared if necessary
If for whatever reason, the jaw cannot anchor the implant properly, the dentist will improve the jaw's structure in one of the following ways:
- The dentist will do a bone graft if the jaw is too thin or too soft to hold an implant
- They may smooth or reshape the jaw if needed
- If the jaw is too large or bulky, the dentist will remove some bone from the jaw
- The dentist will also remove any impacted teeth found inside the jaw
After the jaw heals, the remaining dental implant procedures can occur.
5. Schedule downtime and prepare for after-care
After each procedure, some soreness and swelling is to be expected, so you will need to rest and heal. You should give yourself a few days off by making some arrangements before each surgery. Arrangements such as:
- Stocking up on soft foods and pain medication
- Getting two days off from work or social engagements
- Having a light schedule for one week after the oral surgery
- Taking a break from exercise
- Arranging for childcare or help around the house for the first two days after oral surgery
Preparation affects outcome
How you take care of yourself before and after each procedure will affect how fast and how well you heal. The preparation may sound like a good deal of work, do not worry. The dentist will guide you every step of the way.
Are you considering a dental implant in the Flower Mound area? Get more dental implant information at https://www.drsongfm.com.
Visit Bridlewood Dental, Rodger Song, DDS for dental implant restoration. This is the best way to replace teeth that have been lost due to an accident or decay. A dental implant is an effective way …
Patients who receive our dental implants find comfortable and efficient results for replacing natural teeth. In fact, many have trouble remembering which tooth is the implant since it is so natural in appearance and use. …
Smile like you did when you were a child. Dental implants are easy to care for and provide people with the perfect smile they've always wanted. Dental ImplantsIf you have experienced tooth loss, dental implants are …
Dental implants are the most modern and effective way to replace lost teeth. Unfortunately, the American Academy of Implant Dentistry finds that "More than 35 million Americans are missing all their teeth in one or …